Friday, August 24, 2012

Sweet Summertime

The summer of 2012 was a crazy one! I was balancing two jobs in an attempt to save the final bit of tuition money (officially ensuring that I will graduate loan free) while still trying to bowl and enjoy the summer. It was unusually short due to the quarter to semester switch at Ohio State. As I reflect on my accomplishments, I wouldn't change a moment.

Everyone tells you that internships are a necessity to prepare for your career after college. I have had two internships and I feel that these individuals are right. With these internships I have met new people, seen unique workplace experiences, and gained confidence in myself. I don't have as much anxiety about applying for jobs because I believe that I have skills to adapt to the challenges of different companies.

My summer at The Department of Recreational Sports at Ohio State was great! When I interviewed for this position, it was a dream job. I left my interview and couldn't stop smiling. I've been on a sport club since my freshman year, worked at Rec Sports in member services, and I've followed Rec Sports news since my first day on campus. Sports have been my life for as long as I can remember so working in a department devoted to encouraging a "life in motion" at my university all while gaining writing experience seemed like a great way to spend the summer. I thought (and still do) that the social media done by the department was the best of any campus department and wanted to know how it was done. Besides, they definitely gave away the coolest "swag."

Though it was my first full time job, I found myself looking forward to going to work every day. Some nights I even had to force myself to leave the office. Each day was different! Some days I might examine documents for the word "quarter" and change it to “semesters”, write an article about a current event for the website, edit a newsletter, go to all of the facilities searching for the old logo to replace, plan and implement the social media pages, post signs around the facilities, or plan the next event at Rec Sports. Even when we had prearranged tasks a new project would always appear, requiring our flexibility and a whole new breed of time management. I learned how to work on the back end of a website, my editing skills were challenged daily, and I learned about how to monitor social media. I also was able to work in new programs that I’d never used before, like InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator adding new tools to my "bag of tricks".

Besides the work, my bosses were all incredible. I thought they were fantastic after the interview but they continue to impress me. Our direct supervisor was especially amazing. She's dedicated to helping the interns prepare for the future by expanding our networks, improving our writing, and pushing us out of our comfort zones. She introduced us to her contacts in the professional world and took us to lunches to meet with them. As a senior, these networking opportunities are so valuable to me. I heard from professionals with a wide range of experiences and am excited to learn more. She’s a great role model to have as I begin the job search.

I’m thankful to have the opportunity to continue with the internship through the academic year. As I finish up my first week of classes in my final year of college it doesn't feel like an end. This year feels like the beginning of the rest of my life and I couldn't be more excited for it to start.

How did you spend your summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment