Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Networking With an Etch-A-Sketch

Is anyone else out there baffled by the date on the calendar? I can’t believe that it is already May. This year is flying by. 

This quarter has been very busy but I’ve been able to attend my PRSSA meetings every other Wednesday night regularly.  All of the members (both communication students and non-communication students) gather in the journalism building munching on pizza and listening to guest professionals giving us advice on the exciting world of PR.  We had a resume and portfolio workshop where we our work got examined by real professionals two weeks ago.  I loved every second of the constructive criticism because I know that the information that I’m hearing now will help me after I graduate. 

As educational as the meetings are they are designed to be networking tools as well.  The atmosphere at PRSSA meetings is inviting, once you've met some friends.  We are all communication students and many of us are outgoing individuals, however the large, lecture room on the third floor of the journalism building can seem like a very overwhelming place.  Many times the room is silent when you first walk in except for the members who know each other.  I like to meet new people so I usually start a conversation with the people around me. Some are new to the meetings, others just haven't reached out to anyone.  They would all agree that once you know someone the room seems a lot more friendly. 

Franny Oxford has some great advice in an article on Ragan.com entitled "How to Talk to Strangers at Professional Events" which I feel could help people faced with similar problems.  I think many of us use these tips without even thinking about it, at least I know I have.  

Her recommedations on complimenting a person to start a conversation is great advice.  That's what I usually try to do to start a conversation.   I usually attempt to find something that the person can talk about.  Sometimes it might be the design on their T-Shirt, a unique necklace, etc.  It usually breaks the ice and if there is a story behind it the person will enjoy telling it.  

I have a networking trick that I'll share.  I was looking for a new phone case over Christmas break.  I searched through numerous websites before I found one that looked like an Etch-A-Sketch.  I thought it was great.  I sent it to my dad who was looking for something to get for me.  I had no idea that this simple Etch-A-Sketch would open so many doors.


As PR students we always have our phones nearby so having a unique case has been an easy conversation starter.  Most people have never seen this case before so they might ask me where I found it or why I have it.  The case shows that even thought I'm a professional I still like to have fun.  My Etch-A-Sketch iPhone has helped me network with people and start conversations that may have never existed before.  


The most important thing to take away from this article and my Etch-A-Sketch is that networking is mostly about showing interest in what other people are interested in.  Everyone has a unique story.  So the next time you're at a professional event, remember that everyone is nervous.  That desire to hide in the corner of the room is hitting everyone.  The key is moving past the nerves and learning another person's story.  Do your best to look for something to talk about.  It might be in the strangest places like a phone that looks like an Etch-A-Sketch. 


If anyone has any great networking tips or other fun tricks leave a comment.  I'd love to hear from fellow bloggers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment